CANASA National Scholarship Program 2018
The Canadian Security Association (CANASA) recognizes the importance of a post-secondary education to both the security industry and to society in general. CANASA understands that tuition fees can sometimes be a financial burden, which is why the Scholarship Program was created.
- Applications accepted as of January 1, 2018
- Application deadline May 1, 2018
- Awardees announced June 1, 2018
The goal of the Scholarship Program is to assist dependents of CANASA members to further their education. Ten scholarships (one per region) valued at $1,000 are available to be awarded annually (see below). Scholarships will assist post-secondary students that are working towards obtaining a degree, diploma, or certification at any Canadian University, College, or post-secondary institution.
Eligibility and Criteria
The Scholarship Program is open to the dependents of individuals that are employees of a CANASA member at the time of application. Members must be in good standing. Applicants must meet all admission requirements for the College, University, or post-secondary institution.
Applicants must complete a written academic paper on the topic of electronic security in daily life, while adhering to the following criteria:
- 500 to 1000 words, not including appendices or attachments. Please note: While papers may include illustrations, charts, tables, and graphs, these will not apply towards the word count requirements.
- Must be written in English or French, using one-and-a-half or double spacing in Arial 12-point font.
- Students must conduct research and engage in thoughtful deliberation.
Applications and written submissions may be submitted until May 1 for the upcoming academic year. Submissions must include:
- Completed application (No late or incomplete applications will be accepted)
- Written academic paper
- Official school transcripts (must show last two years)
- Participation in volunteer activities
- If a high school student, proof of acceptance into a post-secondary institution
- Letter of recommendation (from teacher, colleague or employer) – should include details about their relationship to the applicant, the length of time they have known them, and a strong case for why the program they wish to pursue is the best way for them to achieve their career goals.
- Photo of yourself
- Funds will be paid directly to the post-secondary institution.
- Scholarships are available to post-secondary students from post-secondary institutions.
- Scholarship awardees are not eligible to apply for additional CANASA scholarships in future years.
- Submissions will be disqualified if all documentation is not provided, prior to the deadline.
- Dependents of Scholarship Selection Committee members are not eligible for the scholarship.
- If a region does not receive any submissions, no scholarship will be awarded for that region.
The Scholarship Selection Committee will be comprised of a representative from CANASA Regional Councils across Canada. The Committee will review applications, grade written submissions and select up to ten scholarship recipients per year. Awardees will be announced on June 1, 2018. Please submit your full application by email to firstname.lastname@example.org
The Scholarship Selection Committee will grade all submissions based on the chart below.
(Average of last two years grades)
CANASA can award one scholarship in each region as indicated by the boundaries below. If a region does not receive any submissions, no scholarship will be awarded for that region.
||Southern Alberta to Penhold
||Northern Alberta to Red Deer
||Manitoba, Saskatchewan to Thunder Bay, Ontario
||Toronto (East to Peterborough, North to Penetanguishene, West to Orangeville)
||Port Dover Northwest to Kitchener, East to Oakville and Lake Ontario, South to the US border (includes Guelph, Kitchener, Niagara, St. Catharines and Burlington)
||Belleville East to Quebec border, North to Ottawa and Pembroke
||Southwestern Ontario (East including Woodstock, South to Brantford, North to Hanover, West to the
||Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island, NewBrunswick, Newfoundland and Labrador
| As part of our commitment to attract high quality individuals and companies to our industry we are Security offering a $1000 scholarship to students enrolled in approved security programs at schools in the provinces
* Please note that all or excerpt of your written submission may be used for promotional purposes.
Please submit your full application by email to